Welcome to St Hilda’s Church in the village of Ampleforth. The Church of St. Hilda is named after the Saxon Abbess of Whitby and was built mainly in the thirteenth century, being substantially rebuilt in 1868, when the north aisle was added. Only the tower remained untouched. Church records on display list names of Vicars, or Rectors, dating back to the 12th Century. A 16th century silver chalice is still in regular use, dates from 1567, and the Registers, begun in 1643, are now on deposit in the North Yorkshire County Archive.
Like any church community, our life is rooted in worship, and in the desire to make the love of God visible to others. We do this in many ways, but especially through good stewardship of the church building so that everyone can gather to pray and worship, as well as be available for important family services, such as christenings, weddings, and funerals. St Hilda’s is open daily for prayer. A significant part of our mission and ministry in Ampleforth is with families and young people. We have a monthly Family Eucharist with a worship band, and we run a weekly Youth Church group in the Village Hall.
We enjoy several partnerships in the village, particularly with St Hilda’s CofE primary school, and with the Roman Catholic community at Our Lady and St Benedict’s. We make a significant contribution to village life, organising a number of social and community events throughout the year.
There is an 11 am service (Eucharist) each Sunday, with the exception of the 2nd Sunday – as this service rotates around our church group. There is also a 9.30 am Eucharist every Thursday.