Stonegrave Minster is the oldest of the four churches in the Benefice. There has been a place of Christian worship on the site since 757 AD. The present building still has recognisable elements from the late Anglo-Saxon period in the west wall and door into the tower; early Norman (the two arches at the west end on the north side of the nave) late Norman (all other arches) 12th and 14th century (most of the Tower) 17th century (Laudian chancel screen and associated panelling) and then a complete Victorian external makeover which provided all the windows and stained glass, and new roof in 1865. The Saxon wheel head cross, the chancel screen and stone carvings attract visitors interested in its history. As stewards and guardians, this presents us with opportunities to share this Christian heritage.
The church is opened on Saturdays and Sundays during daylight hours. Visitors and walkers on the popular circular walk round the area are welcome to come in and browse. Service take place in the Minster in the summer months, and there are a series of choral evensongs once a month through the summer. The service schedule will be posted on the noticeboard in the porch.
There are occasionally jams and marmalades for sale on the table inside the main door. Please bring cash and use the honesty box.
The village has 24 dwellings and another 25 or so within the parish boundary, with a total population of approximately 90 souls. There are 3 working farms, and other employment is found locally. The Minster is the only public building in the village.
If you wish to make a donation to Stonegrave Minster please select Donate Online in the sidebar.