Due to Covid-19, our church is closed for communal worship until further notice. However the church is open for private prayer on Wednesdays and Sundays from 10 am until 1 pm.
Although the church of St Oswald, King and Martyr dates from Saxon times, nothing remains of the wooden building. The church was re-consecrated in 1287 and the present church is basically Norman with later insertions. A Norman doorway and slit windows still survive from the 11th and 12th centuries. The church is built of local stone and underwent a major restoration in 1886 when the painted chancel ceiling (of historical note) was installed.
The two church bells, which are currently used for services and are struck by the 19th century church clock, were installed in 1683 and 1684. The clock mechanism which powers two faces was installed in 1898 and still runs smoothly and accurately today. In 2015, following a fundraising drive, over £60,000 was spent on renovating stonework, roofing guttering and fenestra. A second phase renovating the chancel ceiling, internal decoration and providing toilet and kitchen facilities is planned.
There are 40 people on the church electoral roll. The average Sunday attendance is 16 adults and 2 children out of a worshipping community of 30. In normal times, a number of children attend the Wednesday Tea-time Club, an equivalent to Sunday School and joint services are occasionally held with St Aidan’s RC Church. Social and fundraising events are held each year, including an annual ecumenical Songs of Praise and a Safari Lunch. We pray that normal times may return by Easter.
If you would like to make a donation towards our mission, please Click Here