Welcome to St Hilda’s Church in the village of Ampleforth. The Church of St. Hilda is named after the Saxon Abbess of Whitby and was built mainly in the thirteenth century, being substantially rebuilt in 1868, when the north aisle was added. Only the tower remained untouched. Church records on display list names of Vicars, or Rectors, dating back to the 12th Century. A 16th century silver chalice is still in regular use, dates from 1567, and the Registers, begun in 1643, are now on deposit in the North Yorkshire County Archive.
Like any church community, our life is rooted in worship, and in the desire to make the love of God visible to others. Sadly, Coronavirus has made this difficult but we pray that we may gather together again in the Spring.
We enjoy several partnerships in the village, particularly with St Hilda’s CofE primary school, and with the Roman Catholic community at Our Lady and St Benedict’s. We make a significant contribution to village life, organising a number of social and community events throughout the year.